Thursday, March 24, 2011

Mexican Pizza

Last night in an effort to clear things out of my fridge that were about to go bad I came up with this concoction. I have always been a huge fan of Mexican food but pregnancy has really made it more intense. We usually have at least three Mexican meals a week so I apologize if you are not a big fan because for the next 4 months I am guessing Mexican food will reign supreme.

Here is what I had in my fridge that I needed to use: canned pizza crust, sour cream, iceberg lettuce and a tomato.
After working all day and spending 45 minutes on the treadmill I really wanted something quick and easy that I could have ready when the husband walked in the door 25 minutes later.  I have really been craving Navajo taco's but in an effort to keep the fried foods to a minimum I decided to just try baking the pizza crust as you normally would. I didn't take a picture because lets face it, it was not the most visually pleasing dish I have ever made. But with that being said the husband and I scarfed almost the entire thing down. I will definitely make this again in the future.

What you will need-
1 canned pizza crust (in the refrigerated section by the prepared cookie dough and canned biscuits)
1 can re fried beans
Cheese (I used a medium cheddar)
Your favorite salsa ( we make our own and can it in the early fall)
Sour cream
Iceberg lettuce
tomatoes
olives (opt)
green onions (opt)

Pre- heat oven to 425 degrees. Pop open the canned pizza crust and spread it onto a pizza stone or nonstick cookie sheet. Use your fingers to flatten it out to desired thickness. Next spread the beans across the entire pizza just like you would if you were using marinara. Sprinkle shredded cheese over the beans using as much or little as you like. Bake for about 12-14 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned. While the pizza is cooking wash and cut your veggies into small pieces and shred some lettuce.

When the pizza is done cooking spread the salsa evenly over it followed by the sour cream. Like I said earlier, this will not be very pretty. I then like to serve the remaining toppings buffet style so that people can put whatever toppings they like on it. Eat with a fork and knife, this will be to messy to eat like regular pizza.  This really is the most simple dish in the world but busy weeknights sometime call for that. Hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

Hollie said...

You are pregnant?! When are you due? This pizza sounds good!

Unknown said...

Yummy! I am totally craving Mexican food all the time!