Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The husbands Famous Taco's with Purple Beans

About 5 years ago exactly the husband and I had been dating for about 6 months and were young and in love. He had just moved back in with his parents to save money up for our wedding which we knew would probably be happening late that summer. During this time we would constantly make the long commute back and forth from Taylorsville to Farmington. I usually made this drive at least 3-4 times a week. One particular night I walked into his parents house and Ian and his dad were making taco's for dinner. Now let me preface this by saying I have never been a HUGE fan of homemade taco's. My experience with homemade tacos always involved a packet of taco seasoning and those horrible crunchy taco shells you buy by the dozen. With that being said my expectations were not high for dinner that night. As we sat down for dinner I was immediately taken back by the look of the tacos. No store bought hard shells to be found anywhere??? As I took my first bite of this taco bliss I was hooked. These are like no other tacos that I have ever tasted and I beg you to give them a try.

What you need- ( this will feed 3-4 depending on your appetite)
1 package small corn tortillas ( if you have the chance get the ones from the Mexican market....much better)
1 lb ground beef
Lawry's seasoning salt
Pepper
onion powder
garlic powder
2 cans S & W kidney beans
1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice
vegetable oil

garnish tacos with-
iceberg lettuce
tomatoes
avocados
sour cream
salsa
cheese
hot sauce
limes (opt)
cilantro (opt)

Begin by browning the hamburger with desired amount of spices to taste. Turn heat down to keep warm.

To make tortillas fill a small frying pan about 2/3 of the way full of vegetable oil. Turn the heat to about medium and allow to heat up.

While the oil is heating you can make your beans. In a medium saucepan combine one entire can of beans with a can of beans with the juices drained. Over medium/low heat allow the beans to heat. Once they are hot take a potato masher and mash into desired lumpiness. I like mine to have a few whole beans in them but some like them a little more smooth. Once mashed add in cheese and stir until melted. Once again reduce heat to just keep warm.

Back to the tortillas... Your first tortilla will be sort of the tester. Using metal tongs place the first tortilla into the hot oil. It should start to bubble and crackle immediately but not out of control. Adjust the heat accordingly. Once the tortilla begins to stiffen slightly use the tongs to fold over one half and hold it with a small opening to make the perfect taco shell shape. Let it fry for  a few more seconds and then place on a plate with a napkin on it to absorb the excess oil. Let cool for a few minutes and then use this to determine if you want your shells softer or more crunchy. The longer you let them fry the more crunchy they will be and the shorter they are in the oil the more soft and bendable they will be. I like mine not so crunchy that they crunch and break when you bite into them but firm enough that they hold their shape. Continue to make as many shells as you need to feed your crowd. I usually suggest 2-3 tacos for those with a smaller appetite and 3-5 for those who eat heartier. This will take a while if you are serving more than a few people so you might want an extra set of hands to help with the beans and meat while you do tortillas or vice verse.

Put the meat and beans into a shell and garnish with desired toppings. Now savor this delectable delight. The beans and tortillas really make these tacos. Thanks to the husband's family who introduced me to these. We now have many friends and family members who request this when they stop by for dinner.

I labeled this as my Husbands Famous Taco's because he is actually the one that usually makes them. I know how to make them but will gladly hand over the reigns to him on this one.
  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhhh man you made my mouth water!

Seth said...

I have tasted and......these are amazing!! Can't wait to try to make them myself. Thanks.