Monday, March 28, 2011

Grandma Glo's Clam Dip

This is probably my favorite dip in the entire world....for real. It is so simple and always a crowd pleaser. This is a recipe adapted from Ian's Grandma. She never wrote down exact measurements so it isn't exactly the same. I have also added a few touches of my own to it which the husband  agrees makes it even better.

2 cubes of cream cheese softened (they must be soft or your texture will be all wrong)
2 cans of minced clams ( the original calls for chopped clams but I like the small pieces better)
2 heaping tablespoons Mayo
Worcestershire sauce to taste ( Lea and Perrins has the best flavor)
green onions
1 lemon

Combine the cream cheese and the juice of one can of clams in a medium mixing bowl. Using a spoon mix the cream cheese and juice until well combined. This will take a while and some elbow grease but just keep at it. You almost want to use the spoon to squish the cream cheese and juice together.  Once it is combined and the lumps worked down to a minimum add in the Mayo and Worcestershire sauce. The recipe calls for a dash but I usually put in more like 5-7 dashes. ( I loooove Worcestershire sauce) Next add in the juice of one half of a lemon and combine. When your dip has a nice creamy texture add in both cans of drained clams and the green onion. Once again, the recipe calls for one bunch of green onions but I use 2-3 because everything is better with green onions.

Now, grab a Wavy Lay potato chip and try it out. Add more Worcestershire, onion or lemon juice to taste. Let it chill for at least a few hours to let the flavors blend together. Serve with Wavy potato chips. WARNING- this makes alot of dip, but not to worry you won't be able to leave it alone.

Funny story about this recipe. A few months back I had a surprise birthday party for my Mom. This was one of the finger foods I made to have there. As the party wore on a family friend of ours asked who had made the dip because she wanted the recipe. I asked her if she was referring to the clam dip because I had made two. Her response with a look of disgust, "that is clam dip, I hate clams?" The moral of the story is this, give this puppy a try even if you don't love clams. You probably won't even know they are there.

2 comments:

droethel said...

Mmmmm....love me some clam dip!

Jon said...

This is a Helm family classic. Love the clam dip.