Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Yogurt Chicken

I love this meal because it uses up leftover plain unflavored yogurt, which I happen to use a bunch in cooking. I first tried this recipe when I saw it on the Pioneer Woman's blog and made a few changes to make it my own.

8 Boneless skinless Chicken tenders ( you could use breasts just adjust your cooking times accordingly)
1 cup plain unflavored yogurt
2 cloves garlic diced finely
Parsley
salt
pepper
seasoned salt
1 lemon
1 1/2 cups panko style bread crumbs
butter

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Begin by generously seasoning your chicken with salt, pepper and seasoning salt. Mix yogurt, garlic, the juice of a lemon and parsley in a bowl and place your bread crumbs in a separate bowl. Dredge the chicken into the yogurt mixture coating evenly and then into the bread crumbs making sure the entire tender is breaded. Place them in a greased baking dish and continue until all of your tenders are breaded. Add a small slice of butter to the top of each tender, cover and place into the oven for about 45 minutes removing the foil for the last 15 minutes. At this point I like to turn the broiler on low and let them brown up even more for a few minutes. Just make sure you keep an eye on them as they will burn quickly.

On a side note I would like to emphasize that you make sure you use PLAIN unflavored yogurt. I was in a rush at the grocery store and accidentally purchased VANILLA yogurt. Luckily I realized it after breading only one chicken breast. I often substitute yogurt for sour cream but last night had to reverse that. So if push comes to shove sour cream will work in place of yogurt. Enjoy! 

No comments: